National Youth Policy (2015-2020)
Towards 2020 – A shared vision for the future of young people is the first National Youth Policy to be implemented under Aġenzija Żgħażagħ and based on existing EU youth policy.
Towards 2020, is underpinned by three separate but interlocking pillars.
- The first pillar is the reality of the lives of young people in Malta today and how coherent policies, effectively implemented and actively supported, can help young people in meeting their needs and aspirations.
- The second pillar is the development of youth policy over the past 20 years at both European and national level.
- The third pillar is the Government’s policy for greater democratic participation, equitable economic and social progress for all, and inclusive change.
The policy’s vision is of young people who are respected, valued and listened to and supported and encouraged in building fulfilling personal and social relationships and in developing their innate abilities and talents for the benefit of themselves, their communities and society. The overarching values of the policy are respect, recognition, sustained support and solidarity, and these are underpinned by principles of responsiveness, access, participation, inclusion, integration, diversity, empowerment and equality.
The policy, which focuses on all 13 to 30 year olds is being implemented over the period 2015-2020, has two related aims
- to effectively support and encourage young individuals in fulfilling their potential and aspirations while addressing their needs and concerns, and
- to effectively support young people as active and responsible citizens who fully participate in and contribute to the social, economic and cultural life of the nation and Europe.
The policy is being implemented through two specific but interdependent strategies that complement the two policy aims. Each of the two strategies has a number of designated Action Plans under which specific actions are being undertaken and implemented over the six year timeframe 2015-2020.
- Strategy 1 – Youthwork and services for young people.
- Action Plan – New spaces at local community level for young people and youth organisations.
- Action Plan – Awareness raising, listening to and supporting the voice of young people.
- Action Plan – Initiatives for the active engagement, empowerment and participation of young people and youth organisations.
- Strategy 2 – Cross-sectoral supports for young people.
- Action Plan – Education and training.
- Action Plan – Health and well-being.
- Action Plan – Employment and entrepreneurship.
- Action Plan – Arts and Culture.
- Action Plan – Social Inclusion.
- Action Plan – Voluntary and Community activities.
- Action Plan – Sport and Recreational activities.