Aġenzija Żgħażagħ in collaboration with Kunsill Nazzjonali taż-Żgħażagħ and the Local Councils administers a yearly project entitled Kunsilli Lokali taż-Żgħażagħ. The central aim of the project is to encourage young people, between the ages of 14 to 18, to become active participants in their localities. At the same time it promotes a number of principles mainly; democracy, active citizenship, participation, dialogue, leadership, and equality.
Throughout Kunsilli Lokali taż-Żgħażagħ young councilors are engaged in research in an effort to discover the needs and aspirations of their localities. Afterwards an action plan and a budget are prepared so to explain how the youth local council intends to bring about the necessary changes. Young people are obliged to attend training seminars designed specifically for them. The first seminar provides a general overview of the project and what different roles within the Local Council entail. This is followed by a meeting in the respective Local Councils, where young people vote or agree on the roles that they will be assuming within the Youth Local Council. The second training seminar focuses on providing young people with the skills needed for their respective roles. Following training, young people meet on a fortnightly basis in their respective Local Councils and discuss matters of interest between themselves.
Subsequently proposals are submitted and a committee appointed by the Organizing Committee selects the best ten projects.
The whole process is facilitated by a youth worker who assists the young councilors for the duration of the project.
Winning projects are awarded a maximum of €3,000, 80% being financed by Aġenzija Żgħażagħ while the remaining 20% are financed by the respective Local Councils.
For more information kindly contact Aġenzija Żgħażagħ on by telephone 22586700 or email on our contact form